Thursday, May 30, 2013

Little Bits of Sunshine Part 2

It's hard to believe that my husband and I are already coming up to our one year wedding anniversary. To celebrate, we've decided to spend the weekend in Niagara-on-the-Lake. My hope is that it's going to be a romantic, quiet little getaway where we can just enjoy each other and look back on this incredible past year of marriage.

We were pretty torn when it came to choosing a place to stay. We've done the bed and breakfast thing once before when we were in Stratford and, although it had it's own charm to it, we missed the comfort of a more commercial hotel. We ended up booking a place called The Orchid Inn. What I love about it is that it seems to be a perfect blend between a B&B and hotel. It has the charm and personable experience of a bed and breakfast, but the privacy of a hotel. And it includes a home-cooked breakfast in the morning!


Next we had to decide what we wanted to do in Niagara-on-the-Lake. First thing that came to my mind was going to the theatre (obviously). The Shaw Festival is running a bunch of different productions, but we decided on Guys and Dolls. It's a classic musical that I've never been able to see performed professionally so I'm pretty excited about it!


Other than that, we plan on spending the weekend walking around the quaint little town, having picnics by the lake (weather permitting) and experiencing the various restaurants and cafes along the main street.

We also can't visit Niagara-on-the-Lake without checking out some of the wineries! Instead of doing an organized full day or half day tour, we plan on just visiting 1-2 wineries on our own. Chateau des Charmes is the top on my list - mainly because of the beautiful facilities. I've also been told to branch out and experience some of the smaller family-run wineries as opposed to purely commercial ones. I've never done a tour or tasting before so I'm really excited! 

No comments:

Post a Comment