Thursday, July 15, 2010

So What?!

The past week or so I have been so consumed with questions about Christianity as I'm sure you can tell from my posts Believing the Bible and Satisfying the Mind. I have researched what atheists believe and what science proves and disproves. But I've only just realized... so what?

The modern focus is always on "proving" that God does or does not exist. That the bible is completely accurate or inaccurate. That the world was created by God or by chance (Big Bang).

As I have said in my previous posts, there are answers out there for most of these questions. The Christian faith has been supported by some of the world's most brilliant minds (including scientists). But so what? Is that really what we should be so consumed with? Should we really be spending our lives researching science, debating with atheists, and trying to scientifically and historically prove every single thing that is spoken of in the bible? Is that really what God intended us to do with His word? I don't think so. I think that the bible places more emphasis on the why, not the how.

Now, I am in no way saying that we are not supposed to be asking questions. As I have said in my previous posts, there is nothing wrong with wondering and I believe that God has nothing to hide from those who seek. I am merely saying that becoming so obsessed with finding the answers can lead us to completely lose sight of the real purpose of it all.

Think about it.

I found these posts on a Christian forum dealing with the topic "Science and the Bible":

Post 1: As a biology major who worked as a college-level science tutor, I have never felt that science has turned me away from God. In my case, learning about the endless intricacies of life gives a sense of awe to the power of our Creator. And on a side note, I find it tragic that someone educated in the sciences can look at how perfectly the universe works, and can only come to the conclusion that it is all one big accident.

Post 2: I remember reading Asimov's book on DNA. As he was describing how the DNA would "unzip" at the right point to produce the right RNA needed to produce a needed enzyme, I was overcome with awe and wondered how such a great mind could not see the hand of God.

After reading these posts I realized that I would gain so much more by focusing my mind on the amazing complexities of all that God has created rather than trying to figure out how it was done. Many people still don't know the answers to these kinds of questions, but how could they? God is a supernatural being and the way He works is completely beyond our comprehension as human beings.

No comments:

Post a Comment